Pages

Friday, March 2, 2012

couldn't help myself... Tag answers...


Jane at Reading, Writing, Working, Playing posted some questions, and I felt compelled to answer them.  I think these are fun... and she didn't tag anyone specifically, but left it up to those that wanted to participate.  Since these questions are kind-of 'freebies' - (I have been tagged already), I am only answering and not passing along.  However, if you do answer these questions, please post a link to your post in the comments as well as on Jane's site!  I hope you play along and I can't wait to read your answers!


1. What is your favorite genre, and has that changed over time?
I have always loved Historical Fiction and it holds a special place in my heart.  However, I have been enjoying some Contemporary stories and have recently read a few YA sci-fi books that I have enjoyed.  But knee-jerk reaction would be HF.

2. Do you create a reading list for the year and if so, how well do you stick to it?
Funny you should ask!  If you look up at my pages tabs, you will see I have a reading list posted there.  However, if you look at the books that I have read already this year, I think I have only read TWO of those from my Reading List!  I am trying to get through my NetGalley books, and I discovered that I can check out digital copies of books through the library… so I have been rather sidetracked so far this year!

3. Do you have a reading goal for the year, such as xxx books? Why or why not?
I do have a goal.  I am not one of those crazy people that tries to read 100 books in a year (I set a goal of 101 books in 1000 days… already at 73).  But for my yearly goal through GoodReads, I set 42!  Yes…42! Because it’s the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything… and because it’s fun to keep count and see if you can attain a certain number!

4. Who is your favorite living author?
Well, there are a few.  Lauren Willig’s books have been greatly enjoyed, though I haven’t finished her series.  Linda Francis Lee has written a few books that I can remember (and that says something!) and I adored her ‘Emily and Einstein’ story.  I have enjoyed Jennifer Becton’s Personages of Pride and Prejudice.  I have also greatly enjoyed Alyssa Goodnight’s ‘Austentatious’ – but it is her debut.  I hope for many more great books from her!

5. What's your experience with reading challenges?
I am one of those people that will take a challenge, but don’t check in on a regular basis.  I don’t do it for the goodies that someone offers on their site, but for the pleasure of trying something different.  I have two tabs up above from last year and this year on the challenges that I have tried.  I already have ‘created’ a challenge that I will host for next year, along the lines of the challenge that I did in 2011 – different genres and whatnot.  I like those kinds, as it gets me to read something different!

6. How do you organize your books on shelves--alphabetically (by author or title), by genre, by publication date, or some other method?
Organize?!?  Do people do that?  I have a couple of books shelves out in the common room, and there is some organization to it all… but it’s real loose and you wouldn’t really see any pattern to it if you looked.  Then the ‘hidden’ bookcase in a bedroom is CRAMMED full… top shelf are books read by my husband, I have a Jane Austen shelf with my JA books and other Austenesque books.  Then it becomes a free-for-all… including the 20 or so books piled on the TOP of the case!

7. Do you read e-books or audio books?
Between e-books and audio?  I would go with e-books.  Though audio books do have their place; for instance, those books I have a very difficult time reading, are perfect to listen to while walking or nice for a long car trip!

8. How do you choose what to read next?
Whatever suits my fancy, I suppose.  As mentioned, trying to get through Net Galley books, and I turn to my reading list, but if I am in the mood for something else, or a book I just won came in and it sounds too good to wait on… I wonder if I will complete any of my challenges this year!

9. Do you read books in parallel or strictly serial?
Not sure what this means.  I have a hard time reading a series back to back – I like variety!

10. Which books have had the biggest impact on your life?
Little House on the Prairie books got me in to reading when I was quite young.  I loved being transported to different worlds.  Jane Austen's novels are the only books that I have re-read – (except the 537 times I read Good Night Moon to our girls, but I don’t think that counts!) – so I think - I know Jane Austen and her stories have had a big impact on my reading style and desire to read more!

11. Which characters have you felt are the most real or believable?
Cinder and Prince Kai were very well-drawn characters in the story Cinder.  Jane Austen’s characters have a certain veracity to them which is probably one reason I keep going back to her stories, and that there is such a world that surrounds them!

Wanna play?  Please answer these questions on your blog and
 post your link below!  Looking forward to what you had to say on 
these great Bookish Questions!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...